Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)

    ALTEC College
  • Home
  • Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)

ESOS Framework

International students studying in Australia on a student visa are protected under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000. The Act sets out the legal framework for the delivery of quality education by setting standards. The framework also provides tuition and financial assurance through thee Tuition Protection Service.

The Legislative Framework incorporates the: ESOS Act 2000 and The National Code 2018.

The legislation aims to protect international students and guarantee quality education.

The education providers and the courses they offer to international students must be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Access the ESOS Framework Student Fact Sheet for more information including the rights and responsibilities of international students.

Please note, the Legislative Framework relates only to students who are enrolled in an onshore program and remain in Australia on a Student Visa. This Legislation does not apply to students undertaking offshore programs or remaining in Australia on a temporary visa other than a Student Visa.

Tuition Protection Services (TPS)

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) has been in operation since 1 July 2012. In the unlikely event your education provider is unable to deliver a course you have paid for and does not meet their obligations to either offer you an alternative course that you accept or pay you a refund of your unspent prepaid tuition fees the TPS will assist you in finding an alternative course or to get a refund if a suitable alternative is not found. 

For more information on the TPS see TPS Brochure and the TPS Website.

Your rights

The ESOS framework protects your rights, including:

  • How to use your provider’s student support services;
  • Who the contact officer or officers are for overseas students;
  • If you can apply for course credit; When your enrolment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled;
  • What your provider’s requirements are for  satisfactory progress in the courses you study;
  • If attendance will be monitored for those courses; What will happen if you want to change providers; and
  • How to use your provider’s complaints and appeals process.

Your Responsibilities

As an overseas student on a student visa, you have responsibilities to: