Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Students need to first complete and lodge college’s relevant Application Form along with the required documents that satisfy course entry requirements. A pre-enrolment self-assessment may also be required.

Prospective students may also apply through an ALTEC College approved Education Agent for an admission in their desired course(s).

The courses can also be packaged to offer an academic pathway for students looking for a specific educational outcome.

Once an application is received with the relevant documents, the college determines if the applicant meets the entry requirements in the intended courses; and the candidate self-assessment reflects course suitability.

Once all the enrolment conditions have been met, the college extends an offer letter to applicant along with a copy of Student Agreement. This agreement aims to ensure the obligations and rights of both the registered provider and student are clearly set out, including the course money payable and services to be provided (The National Code 2018: Standard 3).

Tuition fees are fees we receive, directly or indirectly, from an overseas student or intending overseas student, or another person who pays the fees on behalf of an overseas student or intending overseas student that are directly related to the provision of a course that ALTEC is providing, or offering to provide, to the student.

Tuition fees are clearly shown against each course of study in ALTEC’s Offer Letter as well as Student Agreement.

Other types of fees may include,

a) Application Fee

b) Materials fee

c) RPL fee

d) Reassessment Fee

e) Late Fee

The college includes all the applicable fees for a student in the Student Agreement. Any fee type that is not included in the Student Agreement is not charged.

The only refundable fees are the tuition fees. Fee refunds will be based on unexpended (unused) tuition fees. Students should refer to college’s Fee Refund Policy for detailed information and refund conditions prior to making a payment.

Usually, ALTEC College requires the first term fee in advance (as a pre-paid fee), in addition to other applicable application and materials fees. Any pre-paid tuition fees over $1,500 are held in a separate bank account and treated in accordance with college’s Fee Policy.

If a student enrols in packaged courses (e.g. Cert IV + Diploma + Advanced Diploma), pre-paid fee may vary.

Information on all pre-paid fees are provided in the Letter of Offer and the Student Agreement.

ALTEC keeps the initial prepaid tuition fees in a separate pre-paid fees account within 5 business days of receiving them. This account can only be drawn down when the student commences the course or as guided by refund conditions in college’s Fee Refund Policy.

ALTEC has established a mechanism for keeping pre-paid tuition fees separate from day-to-day operating expense accounts, so that if a refund is payable before the student commences, the refund can be made in full and in a timely way without impact on the financial operations of the business or recourse to the tuition protection system.

ALTEC recognises that some students may face financial difficulties due to unforeseen circumstances in their personal or family situation.

ALTEC has a fee arrange system in place by which students can choose to pay the fees in instalment, or a later date as mutually agreed. The students must apply for fee extension or fee instalments using appropriate forms.

The college does not charge any fee for Credit Transfer applications.

RPL is an extensive process and the RPL fee is equivalent to a single unit fee on a pro-rate basis based on the total course fee.

Access refers to the ability to enter training regardless of racial, religious, cultural or language backgrounds or physical attributes

Equity is about ensuring that all people have the supports that they need to access, participate and achieve to the same level

The college has an Access and Equity Policy in place that ensures that people with differing needs and abilities have the same opportunities to successfully gain skills, knowledge and experience through education and training irrespective of their age, disability, colour, race, gender, religion, sexuality, family responsibilities, or location. The college staff, trainers and assessors adhere to the principles and practices of access and equity in the provision of education and training services.

ALTEC College is committed to providing appropriate support services to students to enable and provide them an environment, in which each student feels safe and supported, and contributes in a positive manner to ALTEC College community. All students have access to support services prior to and during their enrolment.

All incoming students are also expected to attend a student orientation session on arrival. College’s Student Orientation session is aimed at supporting students to adjust to study at the college and to life in Australia in general. The college invites guest speaker from various government agencies (e.g. DIBP) and industry for benefit of the students.

All students are provided with a detailed orientation program on confirmation on enrolment and the start date.

No. The college has adopted and implemented a course progress policy and procedures for its courses, and expects a satisfactory academic performance from students.

However, it does not mean that students can simply skip the classes. Student attendance in classroom learning and assessment session is strongly linked to academic performance. Further, in a competency-based environment, students need to practice and demonstrate certain skills as part of their course which is best achieved during in-class assessment sessions.

Missing classes and remaining absent without college’s approval may impact on your course progress and course duration.

If a student misses three consecutive classes without an approved leave of absence from the college, trainers would notify the college administration. The college administration will act in accordance with the relevant policies and procedures for course progress.

Students must contact the college if they are not able to attend college due to any constraint or issues, and obtain appropriate approvals.

Course Progress is the measure of advancement within a course towards the completion of that course irrespective of whether course completion is identified through academic merit or skill based competencies. A satisfactory performance is a competent result in at least 50% of the enrolled units in an academic term.

Academic results are reviewed at the end of each term. However, students at risk of not achieving a satisfactory performance may be detected early during the sessions if the required assessments are either not being submitted or completed.

The college has a Course Progress Policy and Procedure in place that ensures that students studying at the college maintain satisfactory course progress throughout the duration of their studies. This policy and associated procedure also provide the framework for dealing with unsatisfactory progress and taking remedial actions.

Depending on the course, a unit may contain written and practical tasks, case study, projects, presentations, tests, and exams. Some in-class activities may also contribute towards assessment in form of a portfolio.

Yes. To pass a unit (“C” or a Competent result), you need to complete all the given assessments and obtain a Competent “C” grade in each of the assessment tasks.

You will be subjected to college’s Reassessment Policy. The following conditions apply;

a. If you have attended all the designated assessment sessions but have either failed to submit a task or have been deemed “NYC” in a task;

You will be given TWO (2) more opportunities to correct and/or submit you work before the end of the term

b. If you have NOT attended any designated assessment sessions;

You will be provided an opportunity to attend supplementary assessment sessions organised before end of the term.

You will then have ONE (1) more opportunity to correct and/or submit you work before the end of the term at no extra cost if you are deemed “NYC” in any of the assessment tasks.

You may also be subjected to college’s Course Progress policy if you do not pass in 50% or more units in an academic term.

c. If you have NOT attended any designated assessment sessions and the academic term has ended;

You will be deemed Not Yet Competent (NYC) and will need to re-sit/repeat the unit in the subsequent term

The principal course of study refers to the main course of study to be undertaken by an overseas student where a student visa has been issued for multiple courses of study. The principal course of study would normally be the final course of study where the overseas student arrives in Australia with a student visa that covers multiple courses.

The college may grant a letter of release where;

i. The student has had a consistent course progress issues and wishes to either change a course or transfer to another provider; and
ii.The student has provided a letter from another registered provider confirming that a valid enrolment offer has been made; and
iii.There are no outstanding fees, complaint, appeal or any other disciplinary issues outstanding against the student; and
iv.The transfer is deemed to be in the best interest of the student

No. When granted, a letter to release is provided Free of Charge along with all due student results and/or testamurs and Statement of Attainments.

Deferment is postponement of the commencement of a course of study. It must occur prior to start of a new academic term or a study period. Deferment is usually of the course start date and granted for a completed term; allowing a student to commence or re-commence their studies in subsequent academic terms.

Suspension of studies is a temporary postponement of an undertaken course of study. It may occur at any time during an academic term or a study period.

Under the provisions of The National Code 2018 Standard 9, the college can only defer or temporarily suspend the enrolment of the student on the grounds of:

a) Compassionate or compelling circumstances (for example, illness where a medical certificate states that the student is unable to attend classes); or
b) Misbehaviour by the student (college initiated suspension)

If a student’s deferral or suspension application is rejected, the student will have an option to appeal the decision within 20 working days after receiving the notification.

An international student’s visa may at the risk of cancellation if the deferral or suspension:

i.  is due to the conduct of the student
ii. is for reasons other than compassionate or compelling circumstances
iii. the compassionate or compelling circumstances which warranted the deferral or suspension
of studies cease to exist
iv. is based on fraudulent evidence or documents given to the college

If a leave of absence, deferral, or suspension of studies is approved for 28 days or longer, DIBP requires the students to leave Australia (unless there are exceptional circumstances). As an international student, they must:

i. Remain offshore for the duration of their leave (if it is longer than 28 days); and
ii. Return no more than one month prior to the commencement of their next term/semester

A suspension of studies is a temporary postponement of an undertaken course of study and the student will need to apply for a deferment if the absence is likely to prolong beyond one academic term.

Yes. A leave of absence can be granted on compassionate groups for a maximum duration of two weeks as per college’s Deferral, Suspension, and Cancellation of Enrolment Policy.

he college may suspend or cancel a student enrolment on certain grounds including;

a) Breach of Student Agreement conditions
b) Breach of Student Code of Conduct or due to any disciplinary reasons where the student’s offence is clearly established and the appeal process has been exhausted
c) Non-payment of tuition fees
d) Non-commencement of studies while on-shore and absence for a period of 28 days or longer without prior approval from the college
e) Unsatisfactory course progress
f) Student misbehaviour

The Student Handbook contains these and several other FAQs for an easy reference in key areas of your studies.

If you have any other questions or specific queries, you may contact Campus Manager by appointment made through front desk.